CNN contributor, #NeverTrumper, and Republican establishment talking-head Ben Shapiro wants all his fans to wish President Trump a happy birthday… for a not-so-small fee.
The Daily Wire editor-in-chief and New York Times sweetheart conservative sent a massive email blast out to his mailing list Tuesday collecting signatures, and dollars, in exchange to send a message of love and support to the Commander-in-Chief on his big day.
In an e-mail with the subject “Holding your spot until midnight tonight,” and topped with Shapiro’s podcast logo and a bold “CALL TO ACTION,” the little Republican seeing big dollar signs wrote:
“Donald J. Trump’s Birthday Card,” followed by alarming, bold-red type, “SIGNATURE MISSING”
The e-mail went on to dig into the pockets of Trump supporters, beckoning:
TWO DAYS — that’s how long until President Trump’s 72nd birthday.
We only have 230 spots left on his card. We are holding your place until midnight tonight before we give it to another supporter.
If you don’t sign his card soon, you will not be able to wish our president a happy birthday: ADD YOUR NAME & NOTE.
Make sure President Trump sees your signature!
Below a flattering photo of the president, a countdown clock ticks away the days, hours, minutes, and seconds remaining to sign the e-card (and enter your credit card details).
The bizarre birthday card push, sponsored by the National Republican Congressional Committee, requires an email address and phone number before taking well-wishers to a page demanding a monetary donation in order to have the signature and birthday message appear. Those donation amounts range from $25, $50, $75, $100, $500, $5,000 to $10,000.
There appeared to be no proof the President would actually see the card or read the messages of support.
Earlier in the day, Shapiro appeared on Fox & Friends to criticize Trump’s historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore this week, saying the President’s praise of the dictator was disquieting and has not been justified by the outcome yet.
On Tuesday, Trump and Kim signed an agreement to denuclearize the Korean peninsula, a deal Shapiro called “weak.”
@benshapiro: North Korea is a slave state – the President’s praise for the dictator is disquieting and has not been justified by the outcome yet https://t.co/DIZGMATpdd
Among Shapiro’s recent anti-Trump diatribes, includes these not-at-all smug nuggets:
• “I will never vote for Donald Trump because I stand with certain principles. I stand with small government and free markets and religious freedom and personal responsibility. Donald Trump stands against all of these things…I stand with the Constitution of the United States, and its embedded protection of my God-given rights through governmental checks and balances. Donald Trump does not. I stand with conservatism. Donald Trump stands against it.”
• “Strip the drunken boor antics from Trump, and you’ve got John McCain who will lie transparently to pander to the populist wing.”
• “Donald Trump is a liar.”
• “I don’t trust Donald Trump and every woman that’s trusted Donald Trump can tell you why.”
• “[Trump’s] no king; he’s a second-rate Charles Foster Kane knockoff, whiling away his hours at his personal Xanadu while longing after some long-forgotten Rosebud that has driven him into constant motion.”
• “[Trump’s] closest to a drunken deadbeat father, because like most drunken deadbeat fathers, he cares more about himself than the people who rely on him.”
• “Trump offers empty promises.”
• “…there is no political Allfather, as Trump’s supporters are about to discover. There are just liars who play the part, and Children who follow them.”
Hilariously, Shapiro has earned the ire of fans lately by running annoying “Cash 4 Gold” ads on his show and interviewing members of Birch Gold Group, which claims to be Shapiro’s “investment company of choice.”
President Trump turns 72 on Thursday. You can probably just wish him a happy birthday on Twitter.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, BITCH?
BECOME A DANGEROUS VIP FOR AS LITTLE AS $3.95 A MONTH
You get all our best writing, MILO’S VIP-ONLY daily podcast and a bunch of other decent stuff.